Friday, August 10, 2018

Traveling with an infant

   
Hello friends! I have been asked  multiple times about my travels with my Baby King Caleb so Today I like to share my experience of traveling internationally with my three months old. Specially focusing on what to pack, how to handle the air travel, get through airports and breastfeeding while traveling.

So last year, my husband and I decided to travel with our three month old internationally due to the medical research opportunity my husband had. We travelled through 7 countries, 4 continents including USA. Stayed and visited places and people in 4 countries- USA (Colorado) Dubai , Ethiopia and LondonLondon. Through all this globe trotting, our baby was healthy breastfeeding with no problem. This  trip was one for the books and honestly I could write a book about it but for now I am going to share some key important details that worked in my experience. Hopefully it will help someone!


Travel checklist
• check with your baby’s doctor if your baby is safe to travel and if there are vaccines your baby needs to get. Although infants don’t get travel vaccines, it’s good to make sure that your baby is caught up with routine vaccinations.
• get your baby’s birth certificate on hand before going to get a passport because they won’t give you the passport without the birth certificate
• Take lots of hand sanitizers and wipes with you! I used a lot of hand sanitizer through out our travel and stay, I’m sure it helped!
• Shop for baby medicine like infant Tylenol and anything that’s available over the counter just Incase And of course any prescribed medications you have for you and your baby. You may not have to use the over the counter meds but it’s good to have in your bag in case of emergency.
• your breast pump and storage kit! I didn’t take a pump with me as I was exclusively breastfeeding but I learned that I should’ve packed one just in case
• If you pump, take a small ice bag/ cooling bag with you and  you can always ask the flight attendant to store it in the fridge for you.
• pack and dress in a breastfeeding friendly clothings. Cover ups are awesome! I used breastfeeding cover while feeding in the airports and on the flights... it made it a lot easier! You can find it ClickHere
• pack feeding Bottles and teething toys you prefer.
• have infant formula for just Incase...chances are you won’t use it but never know what might happen.
• take a portable infant bath tub like an inflatable ducky from munchkin worked perfect for us and it was easy to pack.
• Buy and pack enough amount of diapers because you will run out. Although, pampers is available everywhere, you never know.
• Make sure  to ask for front row seat when buying Your flight tickets including your transits so you will always have the infant bassinet to use on the flight. They are usually in the front row hooked on the wall.  It was awesome to be able to eat and even catch a little sleep while my baby was in the bassinet snoozing!
• Usepacifier or breastfeed your baby during take off and landing to prevent ear pain. I breastfed him everytime we took off and landed and his ears did not bother him at all.
• pack clothings for both hot and cold weather! One thing I experienced was that going from a hot summer weather in Ethiopia and landing in London to a cold early spring weather was a huge change.... luckily we had baby’s clothing in our carry on so he was protected.
•Take your stroller, car seat base and the car seat! You will need for traveling with a car once you arrive to your destination to insure your baby’s safety. The stroller was awesome when we had to walk a lot in big international airports!
• Give yourself more than 4 hours ahead of your flight so you will get through the securities in the airport without rushing and just in case you need to change diapers or use the restroom before boarding.

Most of all, pray and stay positive! Enjoy your baby’s first flight and travel! Take pictures and make memories! Hope this helps someone out there and Please let me know if you have any questions or if you want me to cover any subjects on traveling with an infant!


Peace, Love and Joy


Maereg:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment